Apple recently released a new beta version of their WatchOS operating system for Apple Watch, WatchOS 2.
This system has, of course, some issues. There’s a reason if it’s a beta, after all!
However, downgrading from WatchOS 2 Beta 1 to an earlier version of WatchOS is not really straightforward as it’s with iOS.
If you have a backup of your Apple Watch made with an earlier version of WatchOS, like 1 or 1.0.1, you can downgrade. Backups are automatically created when you unpair your Watch or before initializing it.
If you do, you can downgrade your Apple Watch following these instructions:
- On your Watch, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase all contents and settings
- Let it restore for a while. If it seems stuck with a black screen and pressing keys does nothing, keep pressed power and the digital crown to force a reboot
- Connect your Apple Watch to your iPhone (iOS 9 is required at this time)
- Restore your backup that features WatchOS 1 or WatchOS 1.0.1
- (Optional) Now you can also downgrade iOS 9 to the official version!
UPDATE: it seems like this method does not downgrade the Watch.